top of page

Men's 1s Vs. Winchester 1s - Saturday 28th January 2023

Banbury Rescue Point at Home but Rue Missed Chances 

Banbury HC 1s - 2 Winchester HC 1s - 2

Banbury’s second half of the season continued to be inconsistent with a hard fought 2-2 draw at home vs mid table Winchester. Banbury had 18 shots and chances on goal to seal a win but could only convert two of them. 

The first ten minutes started brightly enough with three chances to score in the first ten minutes. Harry Simons came close after 2 minutes when he received a long aerial pass from Andrew Scanlon and Tyson Nunneley’s running high flick to the far post was even closer. The hard working Joe Allen created the third chance when he drove through midfield passing the ball to Simons who found Man of the Match George Brooker in the opposition D but he lost control of the ball in front of the keeper. Two minutes later great work by Tyson Nunneley won a penalty corner and Scanlon put the home team ahead 1-0 with a great drag flick.

Banbury made the mistake of sitting back and Winchester gained more possession and attacks as a result. Pete Lamb kept Banbury ahead with a great goal line clearance from a penalty corner drag flick after 20 minutes but just 1 minute later Banbury conceded a weak goal from an unchallenged right wing attack finding the Winchester centre forward in the D who’s miss hit shot dribbled between Darsh Theara and Kit Lamb in goal to make it 1-1, and then ten minutes before half time Winchester won a penalty corner and then a penalty flick after the shot hit Brooker’s foot on the line. Lamb in goal couldn’t get near the flick and Winchester were 2-1 up.

The second half was all Banbury with Simons, Nunneley and Allen coming close from chances created by Long, Scanlon and Kellett. At 20 minutes the massive Banbury pressure paid off when Connor Roberts’ hard work won a penalty corner from which Scanlon launched a vicious drag flick hitting a Winchester defender on the line and winning a penalty flick. Captain Will Kellett stepped up and made it 2-2 with a deft flick. The next ten minutes was all Banbury with Kellett, Simons and Brooker all coming close but it was late drama that nearly lost Banbury the match when keeper Kit Lamb was carded and sent off for 5 minutes for clearing a ball outside of the D. The resulting penalty corner was well saved on the line by Man of the Match George Brooker to keep the point for Banbury.

Manager Andy Camp said: “we should’ve come away with 3 points today. We had 18 chances against their 6 but couldn’t make that pressure count. The second half was dominated by the lads which is a positive but we need to convert this pressure into goals. Tomorrow we face Slough away.”

58 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page