top of page

Men's 1s Vs. Staines 1s - Saturday 1st October 2022

Banbury Grab an Away Draw

Banbury HC Men’s 1s - 2 Staines HC Men’s 1s - 2

Banbury travelled to Staines HC hoping to get their first win of the season but had to settle for a draw and ruing the missed chances in the first half that would’ve changed the game.


In the first half it was Banbury who came out of the blocks quickest with new signing Andrew Scanlon and Josh Nunneley creating great chances for Tyson Nunneley, Harry Simons and Captain Will Kellett up front with their long searching aerial passing. In the first 15 minutes Banbury had won 4 penalty corners but Kellett, Scanlon and Nunneley were denied by the Staines keeper and a save on the line by a Staines defender. Richard Hobley, George Brooker and Tyson Nunneley worked hard to maintain possession in midfield and constantly used the marauding Scanlon and Ben Clarke down the flanks to threaten the Staines goal. It wasn’t until the 27th minute when Banbury broke the deadlock and Josh Nunneley crashed a long pass to the Staines right post and Brooker slid across the D to skillfully deflect the ball into the net to give Banbury a deserved 1-0 lead. Just before the break it was nearly 2-0 when Tyson Nunneley carved through the Staines midfield and defence to pass to Kellett whose shot was well saved by the Staines keeper. Banbury went into half time just 1-0 up but frustrated that their efforts hadn’t brought more goals. 

The second half saw Staines more attacking from the whistle and man of the match, Keeper Kit Lamb had to pull off some great reaction saves to keep Banbury in the game. But Banbury weathered the early storm and Harry Simons, Scanlon and Brooker created another penalty corner only to see it clear led by the Staines defence creating an attack down the other end and a card for Hobley and a penalty corner for Staines which they drag flicked to the bottom corner to make it 1-1. Then it was the defence of Darsh Theara, Nunneley, Sam Pick and Ben Clarke who had to soak up the pressure with keeper Lamb also having to pull off some more great saves including a one on one with the Staines forward. 

After 25 minutes Sam Chadbourne created a great opportunity by winning a penalty corner which was turned over again and Lamb and Theara especially had to work hard to keep the scores level. Five minutes from the end Staines attacked down the left and found an unmarked forward in the D who slipped the ball under Lamb to make it 2-1. To their credit, Banbury came straight back at Staines and with 3 minutes remaining Simons won a penalty corner which Scanlon converted with a low hard flick to the left corner of the Staines goal.

The game ended 2-2 with Banbury the more frustrated team having wasted chances in the

first half.


Banbury manager, Andy Camp said - “we really should’ve gone into half time 2 or 3 nil up

and that would’ve changed the game. Staines are dangerous on the break and so a 1-0 lead

was going to be vulnerable. Credit to the guys though for bouncing back after what Staines

thought was the winning goal. This team never gives in. Next week we face Henley at home

and we must target this for our first win.”

Photo: Nunneley carves through the Staines midfield

Photo: Theara intercepts another attack

Photo: Simons constantly harassed the Staines defence

Photo: Theara closes in

Photo: Brooker and Scanlon close down the Staines attack

Photo: Scanlon scores the critical equaliser

78 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page