top of page

Men's 1s Vs. Maidenhead 1s - Saturday 7th January 2023

Banbury Reach Milestone with a 5-0 Away Win 

Banbury HC Men’s 1s – 5 Maidenhead Men’s 1s – 0

Banbury HC men’s 1s delivered an impressive 5-0 win away at Maidenhead to kick off the start of the second half of the season. And with that win they reached a key milestone - it’s been a full year since they were last defeated in both league and cup competitions. 

Mid table Maidenhead have been a bogey team for Banbury historically, but the team were determined to maintain their top position in the South Central Premiership and the three points at the start of the second half of the season were critical to cement this.  Banbury set about the task with a period of aggressive attacking, and it took just 7 minutes to grab a 1-0 lead when a pitch length aerial pass from Josh Nunneley found Captain Will Kellett on the left wing. Kellett slipped the ball to George Brooker on the baseline of the Maidenhead D and Brooker flicked the ball hard into the net off the Maidenhead keeper from a tight angle. Banbury attacks surged down the left and right wing through James Long and Harry Simons and it was Simons who nearly made it 2-0 after 15 minutes when Josh Nunneley surged through midfield to pass to Simons who carved through 3 defenders and hit a rocket of a tomahawk shot which ricocheted off the Maidenhead keeper’s helmet onto the post. 

Banbury’s defence as impenetrable as man of the match Darsh Theara at its heart along with Pete Lamb and the hard-working Joe Allen blocking and tackling hard, leaving Scanlon and Josh Nunneley free to build attacks through Long, Chadbourne and Simons. After 20 minutes, Sam Chadbourne’s wing play created havoc down the left, winning a penalty corner which Andrew Scanlon was unlucky not to score from. Will Kellett and Tyson Nunneley up front continued to keep pressure on the Maidenhead defence, but it was Jacob Buckner Rowley who eventually unlocked Maidenhead when he won a penalty corner with just 7 minutes left of the half and Josh Nunneley despatched a rocket of a drag flick to give Banbury a 2-0 lead going into halftime. 

The second half started line the first with Banbury hungry for more goals and Scanlon’s solo run through the heart of the Maidenhead midfield and defence won a penalty corner after just 3 minutes. Scanlon grabbed the 3rd goal with a great drag flick leaving the Maidenhead goalkeeper stranded. For the next 10 minutes it was all Banbury with Tyson Nunneley terrorising Maidenhead and feeding opportunities to Simons and Brooker who came very close to increasing the lead. After 18 minutes Josh Nunneley’s hard work through the Maidenhead defence found Kellett on the top of the D. Kellett had a lot of work still to do but managed to squeeze a deft strike with his back to goal to make it 4-0 to Banbury. Banbury were down to 10 men for the last ten minutes due to yellow cards and Allen, Lamb and Theara had to work hard with keeper Kit Lamb to keep the clean sheet. With just 5 minutes left Tyson Nunneley’s attacking play found Simons who won another penalty corner.  Scanlon grabbed his second and Banbury’s 5th goal with another trademark drag flick. With one minute left on the clock keeper Kit Lamb had to make a diving save to keep the clean sheet and the 5-0 lead safe. The game finished with Banbury grabbing all 3 points leaving them still top of the league and 6 points clear with a game in hand over second placed Bournemouth. 

Banbury manager Andy Camp said: “what a way to kick off the second half of the season! An emphatic away win against a tough Maidenhead team and marking a year since we last lost a game in any competition. We still need to focus and take each game as it comes but the lads showed today how much class they have. Next week we face Staines at home.”

47 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page