top of page

Men's 1s Vs. Hampton-in-Arden 1s - Saturday 22nd October 2022

Banbury Men Kick Off their Cup Defence with Style and Scanlon Grabs a Hat trick

Banbury HC Men’s 1s - 7 Hampton in Arden Men’s HC - 0

Banbury started the defence of their national trophy with an emphatic first round 7-0 win over Midlands Premier club Hampton in Arden. 

Within the first 2 minutes Banbury showed their intent when Josh Nunneley found Captain and man of the match, Tyson Nunneley, with a great pass. Tyson Nunneley surged into the Hampton D to flick the ball onto Harry Simons who won the first penalty corner of the game. Ricky Scanlon slammed the ball home into the right of the Hampton goal to give Banbury a very early 1-0 lead. Jacob Buckner Rowley nearly made it 2-0 after 8 minutes when he narrowly missed a deflection after a great cross by George Brooker. But it was Hampton who came closest next to a goal when keeper Kit Lamb managed to stall a rapid Hampton breakaway 3 v 1 attack and the free forward missed an open goal. Banbury’s defence then had to show grit and Pete Lamb, Darsh Theara, Josh Nunneley and Sam Pick proved impenetrable for this period with keeper Kit Lamb pulling off a couple of great saves. Banbury then started to re-establish control through Brooker, Sam Chadbourne, Richard Hobley and Harry Simons in midfield and after 15 minutes this pressure led to Tyson Nunneley on the left carving through the Hampton defence and slipping the perfect pass to Simons who’s deft flick made it 2-0 to Banbury.  It was man of the match Tyson Nunneley in action again down the left who created the 3rd goal when the same move led to Buckner Rowley flicking in number 3 by the Hampton right post. 

The half finished with Banbury 3-0 up but still not firing on all cylinders. 

The second half saw Banbury take the game by the scruff of the neck and exploiting the Hampton flanks more effectively. Ricky Scanlon and Sam Pick launched more attacks down the flanks through the pace of Simons and Chadbourne and it was Simons who won the next penalty corner which Scanlon converted with another of his trademark drag flicks to make it 4-0 after 10 minutes. Five minutes later Chadbourne waltzed through the Hampton midfield and defence and slipped the ball perfectly across their goal to the right post and Buckner Rowley was there to get his second goal and number 5 for Banbury. The Banbury attacking midfield of youngster Will Smith, Hobley, Chadbourne, Brooker and Simons then went to town stretching Hampton to breaking point. 

Number 6 came from a great move from Tyson Nunneley through Darsh Theara on the left side of the Hampton D slipping the ball to Josh Nunneley on the right post who still had work to do to spin and flick the ball into the net. 

Five minutes from the end of the game Ricky Scanlon scored the 7th and his hat trick with a vicious drag flick off a penalty corner to the left of the Hampton goal. 

Manager Andy Camp said: “we couldn’t have kicked off the defence of our national trophy title in any better way. We were controlled, cool and clinical and we played some great flowing attacking hockey. We now move onto the second round. We have a rest next Saturday and then the league restarts with us entertaining Trojans HC from Southampton at home on the 5th November”.

Photo: Simons and Buckner-Rowley both on the score board close down Hampton

Photo: Man of the Match Tyson Nunneley a constant threat

Photo: Man of the Match Tyson Nunneley proves too hot to handle for Hampton

Photo: Harrying Harry Simons grabs the second goal

Photo: Solid and dependable Darsh Theara creates goal number 6

61 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All


bottom of page