top of page

Men's 1s Vs. Bournemouth 1s - Saturday 20 November 2021

Banbury Maintain Winning Streak

Banbury HC Men’s 1s - 3 Bournemouth HC Men’s 1s - 1

Banbury came off last week’s great win away to table-topping Reading to bag another 3 points against a tough Bournemouth team.  For the first ten minutes, Bournemouth piled on the pressure and Banbury found it difficult to retain possession. Kit Lamb in goal was kept busy and

made some spectacular saves including a quickfire double save to keep Banbury in it.

After the initial onslaught, Richard Hobley came on and started to manage the game and dictate play especially with the hard-working Joe Allen, George Brooker, George Godwin, and Harry Simons dominating midfield. Then after 20 minutes man of the match, Tyson Nunneley broke down a Bournemouth attack outside his D passed across to James Long on the left who gave the perfect aerial pass to Nunneley down the right-wing. Nunneley beat 4 Bournemouth players and struck home the Banbury opening goal from the right of the Bournemouth D and Banbury went into halftime 1-0 up. 

The second half started much like the first with Bournemouth determined to get the equaliser, and it came just 5 minutes in when Bournemouth’s centre forward hammered the ball past Kit Lamb with a reverse stick strike from the left baseline. Again Banbury came back at Bournemouth with Long, Nunneley, Sam Chadbourne and Godwin dominating the flanks. Josh Nunneley launched aerial passes to the Banbury forwards and it was these tactics that broke

Bournemouth and won Banbury their first penalty corner. Josh Nunneley made it 2-1 with a rocket of a drag flick high into the Bournemouth net.

Banbury was now on top and pushing hard for a third which Jacob Buckner Rowley nearly got when he was unlucky to hit the post. But it was just 2 minutes later when Banbury sealed the game when hard-working Simons took a quick free hit on the halfway line slipped the ball to Buckner Rowley on the right, who rounded two defenders slipped a perfect pass across the

Bournemouth keeper to Captain Will Kellett on the post who flicked the ball home to make it 3-1. Bournemouth came back hard but some excellent last-ditch defending by Pete Lamb and a goal-saving tackle by Darsh Theara kept the 3-1 lead until the end. 

Manager, Andy Camp said “after last week’s away win against the top of the table, this win proved we can challenge for the top. We managed the game and defended well, and countered at speed which proved too much for Bournemouth who are certainly no pushover. Next week we face Milton Keynes away and we need to keep this momentum”.

Photo: Harry Simons and Joe Allen bossing the midfield

Photo: Joe Allen closing down in midfield

Photo: Man of the Match, Tyson Nunneley, who scored the opening goal with a solo effort

65 views0 comments


bottom of page