Match Reports 27&28/01/18

Ladies 1st Team


6-1 Loss against Witney

Goal Scorer:  Emily Dove

Banbury faced a defeat 6-1 from third in the league table Whitney on Saturday 27th January at home-ground NOA, despite hard work and tenacity from the hosts.

Banbury started strong, dominating possession and exerting prominence on the pitch. Linking up threatening movements which moved the ball from midfield to the forward line swiftly and resolute defending from banbury kept Whitney at bay. This initially suggested to teammates and spectators that the two sides were even as both teams posed equivalent threat to the other. Had whitney met their match?

Banbury emphasised this promising start by putting together seamless attacks and opportunities that lead to the team bagging the opening goal after 8 minutes. A strong counter-attack was a display of Banbury’s notorious hard-work and awarded them a fantastic ball played across of the D by Natasha Roberts giving Emily Dove the perfect opportunity to position the ball in the bottom left of the goal, to open the scoring. This was complimented by excellent runs from Molly Levene, Vicky Warlow, Jenny Marsh and Victoria Coombs, which put Whitney on the back foot.

Unfortunately Whitney weren’t giving up easily and despite strong defending from Becca Edwards, Alice Offord, Emma Warlow and Charlie Price it did not win banbury the battle and the visitors broke early for H Dobson to bag the equaliser. Whitney soon doubled their advantage as Dobson scored again before half time breaking the equal score line.

After the restart banbury demonstrated their disreputable resilience and tenacity across the pitch winning them several confident opportunities at goal but brilliant saves from the opposing goalie meant their chances were not rewarded.

End-to-end play resulted in a green card for Whitney’s midfielder, leaving the team a player down but unfortunately this didn’t claim any advantage for the hosts and the score line remained unchanged over the two minute penalty time period.

The Whitney team seemed more energised from the half time break and hit Banbury off guard. Despite countless great saves from Emma Henriksen, the visitors edged their bets by winning their team four more goals before the end of the game. Dobson secured herself a hat trick making the score 3-1 and E Musson gave the team its final goals to seal the victory and Banbury were unable to reduce the arrears.



2-1 Win Against Chiswick

Goal Scorers: Natasha Roberts, Emily Dove

A defeat against Whitney the day before meant Banbury were even more determined to win today’s fixture away at Chiswick. This sheer determination and grit was displayed prominently  throughout the match awarding them a 2-1 win. This result was celebratory in itself but also as it has brought the team out of the relegation zone.

The long trip down to London didn’t show consequence to Banbury’s performance as they hit the ground running with confident and strong play. The side exhibited real strength and ability on the ball rewarding their efforts with early and threatening attacks against the hosts. Possession was dominated by banbury early on, linking up seamless passages of play which distributed the ball in banbury’s attacking regions of the pitch.

Superb leads from Emily Dove, Vicky Warlow, Jenny Marsh, Natasha Roberts and Maddy Hunt complimented this attacking success and meant the pitch was opened up for banbury to position the ball in Chiswick’s defending circle. This was pioneering as on one occasion it lead to a penalty flick when Chiswick’s defender obstructed the ball on line to goal with their foot. Roberts coolly slotted home the flick opening the score line, with a perfectly positioned ball in the right hand corner of the goal.

Boosted by the goal, Banbury put Chiswick under continued pressure, maintaining the leading the score with their composed play. The frustration was clear in the home side of Banbury’s winning status and this was noticed by the umpires who continuously stopped the game for ‘elbowing’ and ‘pushing’. This was true for both sides as the determination wrecked physicality and bustling between players and finally the umpires had enough rewarding three green cards for this action. Two of these cards were given to banbury players Vicky Warlow and Jenny Marsh but Warlow’s card was more detrimental for the game. Against Banbury’s despair a short corner was awarded as a consequence for the card, of which Chiswick’s player Forbes executed a perfectly clean shot from the top of the D into the bottom right of the goal bagging the equaliser for the home side 5 minutes before half time.

Frustration was sky high in the Banbury team but this was channelled into willpower. After the restart Banbury displayed notorious tenacity and resilience, coming back hard against the opposition. Exemplary defending from Becca Edwards, Emma Warlow, Alice Offord and Sophie Hills kept Chiswick out and disreputable hard work afforded Banbury the clear advantage. An early counter attack by Banbury sealed the victory when a move down the right found Miranda Edwards whose pass into the D allowed Dove to find the goal in a spectacular routine.

Captain Edwards got the team to focus on possession to ensure that the final few minutes didn’t result against our favour with another equaliser.

Nerves ran high as with only one minute to go the home team put the pressure on and secured two short corners from their attacking strength but outstandingly strong defending from Edwards and Ali Woodworth kept Chiswick at bay and secured Banbury their first victory in the new year.


Ladies 2nd Team

8-1 Loss against Newbury and Thatcham


Ladies 3rd Team

2-1 Win against Wallingford


Ladies 4th Team

3-1 Win against Harlow- High Wycombe


Ladies 5th Team

0-0 Draw against South Berks

Facing top of the table S.Berks and having lost emphatically last time out, this was a match which would call for total commitment  and focus and a real dig deep attitude, and not for the first time the 5’s proved they are developing into a gritty,  gutsy side who are determined to make life hard for oppositions.

There was only wet stuff not white stuff falling this week and this did not deter either side from coming out hard and strong, and the S.Berks side showed excellent passing and intercepting skills and right from the start set the good presses that had caused so much trouble to Banbury last time. They were still troublesome, but the team is learning to pass and move it’s way out of trouble and the vision and speed from Kelly Bradfield, Natalie Kyte , Gigi Morgan ,Milly Whitton and Sophie Fickling kept the ball moving up and across the pitch, giving the S.Berks defence things to think about.

In the middle of the park, Holly Brummell, Lauren Smith and Carol Hicks fought tirelessy to regain the ball as it kept being recycled, and the defence of Amanda Perkin , Megan Broome, Caitlin Laverick and Frances Claydon worked hard and marked really well to cope with the ever increasing attacks. Mandy Handforth in goal pulled off numerous saves throughout the game and earned a well deserved clean sheet.

The game to be fair was tipped in S.Berks favour  for the majority of the match, but Banbury did get into the S.Berks circle earning a corner, which did not  come off and half time saw deadlock and a buoyant Banbury knowing they were really playing well and anything they achieved here was going to be good.

The second half was mostly S.Berks, and they had too many short corners to count which were dealt with superbly by the defence,  and several other chances well covered by Handforth,  although Captain Carol was relieved to see a block off her stick gaining just enough air to clear the crossbar as it descended!

Gigi Morgan and Milly Whitton both came close for Banbury and again the youthful legs kept running til the end and we came off feeling the 0-0 draw we had achieved was an excellent result.

M-o-M  we gave to the whole team,  magnificent effort girls!



Men’s 1st Team

4-3 Win against Wycombe

Goal Scorers: Simon Boardman, Max Grossmith, George Brooker, Barney Williams

Banbury returned with all 3 points from their shortest away trip of the season to Wycombe after a closely contested 3 – 4 victory to further consolidate their South Premier division 2 second place but are still 3 points behind League leaders Tunbridge Wells.

The game got off to a frantic start as Banbury struck with Simon Boardman finishing from close range to complete a Steve O’Connor pass after only 3minutes but then conceded a penalty corner only a minute later that was struck home after a well-practiced move by William Needham.

The game continued at a frantic pace but play was scrappy as both sides struggled to find their real form and it was the home side that went ahead after 20 minutes following a right side move for Paul Stock to give them the lead.  Banbury returned the compliment of a quick return and levelled the scores after only a minute with Max Grosmith finishing a right sided move from George Brooker’s free hit.

With scores level at half time the game remained scrappy but eventful as both sides had players side lined for disciplinary offences and Max Grosmith rattled the home side’s cross bar with a thundering reverse stick shot.

It was only in the last 10 minutes that the game really came alive.  George Brooker thumped home to complete a left sided move and give the visitors another short lived lead as Paul Stock equalized with 6 minutes remaining.  Both sides were now fiercely contesting the match and Wycombe had a player side lined for the crucial last period when frustration boiled over.  Banbury were able to take advantage with Barney Williams crashing home a reverse stick shot from the edge of the D.  But the excitement was not over as Wycombe tried to force the game by replacing their goalkeeper with an outfield player and Banbury’s attempt to spin out the last moments failed as they conceded a penalty corner with the last touch of the game.

Wycombe were hugely disappointed when their penalty corner routine ended unsuccessfully in a flurry of claims for another corner and had to the game.

Banbury Manager Steve Brooker was relieved “We have come away from another below par performance against good opposition with all 3 points and a seventh League victory on the trot.  We know we need to get more right for more of the game if we are to maintain momentum but the result is enough to keep us in the hunt and we have 2 home games running over the next fortnight to show what we can do”.


Men’s 2nd Team

2-2 Draw against South Berkshire

Goal Scorers: Nick Best, Jamie Boardman

After a disappointing result last weekend Banbury 2nds were looking to get back to winning ways at home against South Berkshire 1sts. With a change in formation enforced by personnel changes, Banbury knew they would have to perform well to come away with three points. South Berkshire started off on the front foot moving the ball well and created some early pressure on the Banbury defence. However, it was Banbury who took the lead after a mazy run from, Aaron Cobb, was finished off with a back-post deflection by, Nick Best. South Berkshire fought back almost instantly and managed to convert a broken down short corner. The second half continued in a similar manner with South Berkshire dominating the play and creating numerous chances, though through a combination of fine defence form, Christian Squire, and keeper, Scott Reynolds, along with some poor finishing, kept the scores level. An excellent midfield break and through ball from, Nick Best, was calmly finished by, Jamie Boardman, as he rounded the keeper and finished in style. Unfortunately, South Berkshire, drew level after a cruel deflection diverted the ball into the bottom corner of the Banbury goal. With the score level at 2-2, South Berkshire were awarded a short corner on the stroke of the final whistle, they produced their best corner of the match with a fine drag-flick, however, the Banbury defence were up the task with post-man, Ian Reynolds, calmly deflecting the ball away to keep the scores level

Men’s 3rd Team

2-1 Loss against Aylesbury


Men’s Piranhas