Match Reports 21/01/17

Ladies 2nd Team

3-1 Loss to Thame 1s


Ladies 3rd Team

1-0 Loss to Wycombe 3s

After dropping down to 3rd place in the league table, Banbury ladies 3s knew this was an important match to win in order to regain their position in the promotion zone. The first half of the match started with an equal balance of both teams gaining possession throughout. Banbury showing a strong defensive formation, stopping any chance of the opposition coming in contact with their attacking D.

Starting the second half 0-0 it allowed Banbury to start the game fresh, showing commitment and determination in order to win. There was a break in Wycombe’s defence allowing Banbury to gain 4 continuous short corner, however due to Wycombe’s trained and experienced goal keeper Banbury  were unable to make any count. With a remaining 2 minutes left to go, Wycombe played the ball to their attacking top right corner allowing a player to drive down the back line where an unfortunate lift the ball into the corner of the goal giving Wycombe the victory.


Men’s 1st Team

2-1 Loss to Henley 1s

Goal Scorer: Simon Boardman


Men’s 3rd Team

3-0 Loss to Wootton Wanderers 1s

Banbury 3’s travelled to top-of-the-table Wootton Wanderers in their first game following the Christmas break but couldn’t pick up any points. In a closely fought first half Banbury were indebted to Steve Hicks with a fine string of saves while at the other end Craig Irvine and Noel Britto both had good chances. A solitary penalty corner strike was the difference between the sides at the break.

The second half was much more open hockey with space for Banbury’s youth to exploit – Joe Whinmill and Charlie Camp both making good progress down the flanks creating opportunities to win penalty corners which Banbury couldn’t convert. As the game opened up, Rhys Potter came to Banbury’s rescue many a time, but one too many turnovers gifted Wootton a 2-0 lead.

Banbury immediately had the chance to reduce the deficit when a Craig Irvine shot was stopped on the line by a Wootton foot, only for Dave Clark to inexplicably put the resulting stroke wide of the post. As Banbury gambled with a full press, Wootton sealed the match 3-0 with a late counter-attack leaving MOM Steve Hicks no chance in the Banbury goal.